This is one of my inventions and still needs improvement, but it was fun and easy to make. The literal translation for this dish is "berries on air" because the crisps and whipped cream are so light it is almost as if the berries are suspended in air. The crisps and cream are also very airy in taste and texture so that when you take a bite-full of the dessert, the cream and crisp quickly dissolve and the berries are left to be savored. This dessert really showcases the berries and the berries just need the cream and crisps to stand a little higher and fanciful.
I made this dessert to finish the salmon dinner I posted previously. Because the vodka is a cream based sauce and tends to be heavier, I went with this light dessert. All I used was filo dough (also used for spanikopita), whipped cream, strawberry glaze, and a variety of berries. The freshness of the berries is important. For improvements, for one, the tower could have been higher, I just need to work on the balancing. And, it seems to shout out for some dark chocolate drizzle or curls to accompany the berries.
Ingredients (for 4):
- 4-6 sheets filo dough
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 6 strawberries
- 8-10 raspberries
- 8-10 blackberries
- 2-3 tablespoons strawberry glaze
- Mint for garnish (optional), can use chocolate shavings instead
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut out circles from the filo dough using a cookie cutter or just using a knife to cut around a flipped over cup. You can layer the filo dough in 2-4 sheets Arrange on baking sheet. Its okay if there are layered.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Use a brush or carefully pour small amount of butter onto top layer of dough circles. Put in oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly brown. Watch carefully as thy can burn fast after slightly browned.
3. While dough is cooking, wash and dry your berries. Slice the strawberries very thinly.
4. Arrange some sliced strawberries in the center of the dish. Drizzle some strawberry glaze on them. Add small amount of whipped cream just so dough can stick firmly. Place a dough circle on top of the cream.
5. Then add another dollop of whipped cream. Place some raspberries and blackberries on top, 1-2 of each making sure that you can balance them on the dough. Use some more whipped cream if necessary to hold berries in place.
6. Add second dough circle. Add a dollop of whipped cream on top. Place a half of a strawberry on cream. Garnish with mint leaf of chocolate shavings. Drizzle strawberry glaze all over. The best way to do this is cut a small corner off a small ziploc bag and then put some glaze into the bag. Then just squeeze glaze out of the bag moving quickly. Or, you can just use a spoon.