Having two hungry brothers has taught me to have a bit more of a heavy hand, when it comes to portion sizes and heartiness. My role nearly every Sunday during high school was to feed the family scrambled eggs with some Mexican sides like tortillas and beans. Yea, I know very Mexican. Anyway, this is the classic dish that seems to be the favorite of the house and now is a treat for my family when I can go back home to make it.
This dish could not be any fresher. The eggs pictured below are from our own backyard, or semi-farm as well as the baby zucchini, one of my favorite summer crops. There are also tomatoes and onions in the scramble, unfortantly not harvested from our yard but tasty nonetheless. So, make your family, roommates, or friends happy by surprising them with this dish in the morning, or afternoon, or whenever you wake up on a Sunday. And don't forget the tortillas. You can make great breakfast burritos by just adding some cheese into a hot tortilla until it melts and then add the egg scramble. Muy rico y una plata favorita de mis hermanos.
Organic eggs from our farm. Notice that some chickens can in fact lay green eggs, something that isn't restricted to Dr. Seuss' books.
Baby zucchini from the garden:
Ingredients (serve 5 generously):
- 9-11 medium eggs
- Splash of milk for extra fluffiness
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 regular zucchini or 4 baby zucchini
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/4 medium onion
- Mozzarella, jack or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Flour tortillas (optional)
1. Chop tomatoes, zucchini, and onion into fairly small pieces. It does not have to be perfect, just try to cut all ingredients to the same size. *Make sure zucchini is small because if pieces are too large they will take too long to soften and eggs will overcook.
2. Crack all eggs into a large bowl. Whisk until all yolks are broken and mixture begins to look consistent throughout. Add the splash of milk and whisk to combine.
3. Heat 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine in a large pan. Melt butter and coat entire bottom of pan.
4. When the butter is hot, add the eggs. Cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, zucchini, and onions.
5. Let sit for at least 1-2 minutes or until eggs get slightly firm. Then stir the eggs and ingredients so they do not stick to the bottom of the pan or burn.
6. Cook until the eggs are the way you like it and zucchini is cooked through.
7. You can add cheese to the eggs if you desire. Then feast like a beast.