Baked Chicken and Veg
Ingredients for chicken:
- 1 1/2 lb chicken tenders (about 8)
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 T milk or water
- 2 c panko breadcrumbs, or unseasoned breadcrumbs ( I used 1 c wheat and 1 c white panko)
- dash of olive oil (optional)
- 4 slices, halved mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 lb your angel hair pasta, or your favorite
- 1 jar (2 cups) homemade or low-sodium store bought tomato sauce
- 8 baby squash (zucchini or yellow squash)
- 4 Baby eggplant
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 t salt
- about 1T olive oil
- 1/4 t minced basil or small bunch fresh basil
For the chicken:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Prepare 3 bowls or plates, one with flour, one with egg and milk, and one with panko breadcrumbs.
3. Place an oven-proof cookie rack on a baking sheet. If you don't have a cookie rack, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and turn chicken halfway through cooking.
4. Pound the chicken on a cutting board with a mallet, or frying pan, gently, in between two plastic sheets.
5. Dredge the chicken in flour and shake off excess. Then, dunk into egg mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs.
6. Place onto the cookie rack and put a dash of olive oil on the chicken. Place in oven for 12-15 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.
7. Set aside for at least 5 minutes. Right before serving, turn oven up to "Hi Broil," place chicken in baking dish with tomato sauce and half slice of mozzarella or provolone cheese and broil until cheese melts. This may happen fast, don't leave!
Gotta love the Farmer's Market!
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the eggplant and place on paper towel. Salt and leave for at least 5 minutes. This is to remove the bitterness. Then, rinse the eggplant under cold running water and dry.
3. Slice green and yellow zucchini and place on parchment paper. Add in the cherry tomatoes and eggplant.
4. Add less than 1T olive oil, just enough so most veggies are shiny. Add salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Toss all together.
5. Place in oven at 400 F for about 12 minutes or until slighty softened.
6. You can add 1/4 t minced basil or fresh basil once the veggies come out of the oven if you like.
What's in the Fridge? by Chef Joanna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.