I bought these beautiful lentils a while back, but what I love about lentils is that they can wait in the pantry. I decided to make a simple lentil soup, inspired by a family friend, Grandma Billie. She is from Greece and makes every ingredient taste amazing, even if it is unfamiliar to her. She is a great "old-world" cook that I aspire to be.
The soup is simple and loveable, my younger brother, the meateater, even went back for seconds. There is little prep (less mess) and you probably have all the ingredients on hand! The nutrition for this dish is amazing, 20% iron! and there is little to no fat, depending on your choice. Feel free to substitute other lentils, but I think you can buy these lentils in bulk for a good price.
Yellow Lentil Soup
- 1 celery stalk, small dice
- 1 medium carrot, small dice
- 1/2 onion, small dice
- 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Bay leaf
- 1 cup dried yellow lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1. In a small pot, place the diced celery, carrot, onion, garlic, Bay leaf, and lentils. Add 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then place a lid on, and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until lentils are tender to your liking. Taste one lentil.
2. If a lot of the water evaporates, add a bit more to cover the lentils at least. A couple tablespoons will do it, you don't want to dilute the vegetable flavor. Add the salt while it is still simmering and stir in.
3. Take out the 1/2 Bay leaf and blend with an immersion blender or in a stand blender. You may add olive oil off the heat and stir in. I believe every dish needs some fat to keep us feeling satisfied, but it's your choice.
Serve with salad, bread, or my favorite, a tortilla.
*Add a dash of curry, 1/4 - 1 teaspoon for a great flavor! My brother is not a big fan, so I added just a sprinkle to my individual portion.
Simple Green Salad + Dressing (for 1)
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- less than 1/8 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup baby tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts
Place washed greens in a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the greens. Add the salt and pepper on top. Finally, add in tomatoes and pine nuts. That's it!
For Yellow Lentil Soup and Salad Nutrition Facts, please visit here