This is a genius way to control the sweet tooth! Its a dessert, but with great health benefits as well. Oats, wheat germ, and cinnamon are all great for controlling blood sugar levels, so you don't get a massive sugar rush from eating dessert. And its low fat! If you really enjoy apples and cinnamon, then I hope you give this recipe a try.
This was my second time using wheat germ, a somewhat unfamiliar ingredient to me. It's a common ingredient in wheat and nut veggie burgers. Wheat germ is a small part of a wheat kernel, the same milled to make whole wheat or white flours. Its great for you because it provides you with high quality protein, B-complex vitamins, and trace minerals. So eat up dessert!
For more info on the wheat kernel and great recipes, please visit mt.gov.
Light Apple Crisp
Ingredients (Serve 12-15)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 7 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced thick
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 13" X 9" or 11" X 7" baking dish. ( I would prefer 11" X 7" for the next time I bake, but I used a 13" X 9")
2. Toast the wheat germ briefly, about 3-5 minutes in oven or toaster oven. Be very careful not to burn, the wheat germ can burn very easily. Stir or shake pan often. Let cool.
3. Combine all topping ingredients. Mix with your fingers (Using plastic gloves is less messy) to work in oil and butter well into the dry ingredients. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine apple mixture ingredients. Toss to coat apples.
5. Spray pan with Cooking Spray. Place apple mixture in the baking dish and spread evenly. Then, place topping mixture over the apple mixture. Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden and apples are bubbling.
This dessert is best served warm. You may want to add a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt (sweetened with honey) or a low fat ice cream. Other options include adding raisins and a little orange zest to the apple mixture for a flavor variation.
For Light Apple Crisp Nutrition Facts, please visit Shape Up America!