Eggs with Peppers and Onions
This is a great hearty breakfast that's quick to prepare. In less than 10 minutes, you can have a complete breakfast full of protein, vitamin A and vitamin C to start your day. You can choose to add almost any other vegetables to your eggs, like small diced zucchini, mushrooms, or broccoli by sautéing them first, then adding the eggs. Just substitute for the ingredients below. Whatever you have on hand that’s easy to prepare will do fine. I used some leftover red and green bell pepper we had in our salad the night before. Adding more veggies can make this egg dish a great quick dinner. Boil some potatoes to serve on the side and have a nice "upside down breakfast for dinner”!
I also enjoyed adding a sliced and grilled tomato, like the ones they serve with a traditional Irish breakfast. This is a lighter version than what you would be served in Ireland, to say the least! See a picture of the traditional Irish breakfast here but remember that those individuals eating that type of breakfast worked at hard physical labor all day long and needed all of those calories to keep working!
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped red and green bell pepper combined
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon trans fat free margarine or oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 medium tomato (optional)
1. Scale the ingredients to fit the number of persons you are going to serve. Whisk the eggs with 2 teaspoons water, for fluffier eggs. Set aside.
2. In a small to medium sauté pan heat the margarine or oil and sauté the peppers for a minute, then add the onion and sauté another minute or two, or until tender to your liking. Then, add the eggs and cook on a medium-low heat, moving the eggs around once they start cooking. Add the salt and pepper if you like and cook the eggs until your desired doneness, 1-3 minutes.
3. If you'd like to include a tomato, once eggs are done, place tomato cut in half, flat side down in the pan and cook 1-2 minutes or until a little brown and skin blistering. Serve eggs and tomato alongside toast and avocado slice if desired.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian diets.