Many of us know how important it is to get at least five fruits and vegetables in our meals each day. Yet, we often struggle to find the options when we are eating out, or become bored with the same fruits and vegetables that are always offered. This is a great creative way to get both parents and children to enjoy their 5-9 vegetables a day. Use the colors of the rainbow to get creative in choosing your vegetables for a healthy veggie wrap. Pack the wrap up for lunch or an afternoon snack and you will be on your way to getting in your daily fruits and vegetables!
Ingredients (for 1)
- 1/2 whole wheat lavash or whole tortilla
- 2 Tablespoons hummus
- 2-3 Tablespoons chopped tomato
- 1 Tablespoon reduced fat shredded cheddar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh corn
- 1/4 cup leafy greens
- 2-3 sheets dried seaweed
*Feel free to get creative and substitute peas, carrots, cooked zucchini or eggplant, red or yellow bell pepper, cucumber etc., or whatever you and your kids fancy.
1. Warm lavash or tortilla in microwave for 15-30 seconds or on hot plate, if you like your wrap warm.
2. Then, spread hummus leaving a 1/2 inch from the sides.
3. Starting at the bottom with the dark greens first, place a small bunch of seaweed and leafy greens. Then, layer the rainbow with the rest of your favorite toppings. After greens, then place yellow (corn), orange (cheese), red (tomatoes). Roll it up and cut. Stores great wrapped tight in plastic wrap.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diet.