Gazpacho is a Spanish, tomato-based, chilled soup. It usually includes bread, garlic, and a variety of fruits and vegetables, but I kept this recipe simple: tomato, peach, and a little spice. Gazpacho is a wonderful recipe to keep handy for the summer. Refreshing fruits and vegetables like cucumber, watermelon, grapes, tomato, and stone fruits make this soup top of the list for health, and weight loss. Make an all-fruit or all-vegetable version and serve it as an appetizer at your summer dinner party. I chose two unique ingredients, flat peaches and heirloom and yellow tomatoes (when available), which offer unique flavors. When you can’t find these, choose any variety and type. It will surely refresh your guests and stimulate their appetite for the main courses. Grilled fish or chicken would be an excellent main dish to serve along with gazpacho.
Ingredients (4 appetizer servings, 8 sampler servings)
- 1 heirloom tomato, (I used yellow, image shows other heirloom tomato varieties)
- 1 flat peach
- Sliver of yellow chile pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil*
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped chives or scallions
1. Blend all ingredients except chives or scallions in a food processor, immersion blender, or stand blender until liquid. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving (or chill fruits in refrigerator before blending for immediate service). Garnish with chopped chives or scallion before serving.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diet.